Navigation for runners | Lake District | Dates throughout the year
Learn to navigate, and the mountains of the world will be your playground. Our one-day navigation course is designed specifically for runners, by runners, covering all the essentials of sound navigation on the move.
Full day: £160 | Half day: £100 | Discounts for groups of 2 – 5
About the course
Mixing navigational theory and practice, we will work with a range of maps to practice skills and learn to read the terrain around our Lake District base. The course will be pitched to match the experience of the group, and we will cover:
- How to navigate in the mountains, on the move
- How to relate what you see on the ground, to what you see on the map
- Top tips and tricks from your experienced coaches
- Insights from course planners and race directors: we have first-hand experience of designing a range of navigational courses, and can teach you the skills you’ll need to succeed.
Who is it for?
Whether you’re totally new to map reading or you need to brush up or improve your skills ahead of a Mountain Marathon or self-navigated ultra, we will teach to your level.
Come on your own, or bring your friends: discounts are available for teaching groups of 2 – 10. See our Price List for full details.
Max group size: 5. If you have a larger group, please contact us to discuss your needs.
- Tuition from an expert coach
- Access to a range of maps, supplied by Mountain Run
Full day courses run from 09:30 to 16:30 with a break for lunch; half day courses may be booked for the morning or afternoon.
What to bring
- Waterproof jacket & trousers (taped seams please)
- Spare L/S base layer, Primaloft layer or similar (no cotton please)
- Hat or buff
- Survival Bag
- Hill food/Lunch Snacks
- Race Vest/Small Pack to put it all in.
- Aggressive-soled running shoes for mountain terrain
Please be aware we might be moving at slow speeds at some points during the day: please
account for this in your clothing selection. Check the weather forecast in advance of the
course and come prepared.