Mountain Skills for Runners | Lake District | Dates throughout the year
Don’t let your big mountain dreams turn into a Mountain Rescue nightmare: if your sights are set on higher summits, bigger adventures or tougher mountain races in 2018, then this practical one-day course is the place to start.
Full day: £160 | Half day: £100 | Discounts for groups of 2 to 6
About the course
Designed specifically with runners’ needs in mind, Mountain Skills for Runners combines the theory and practice of good mountain-craft to make sure that you have the skills you need to enjoy epic days in the mountains ... and come home safely to tell the tale. Running from our Lake District base, we will cover:
- Equipment choices: the ‘must-have’ kit list for safe mountain adventures
- Food and nutrition choices, and how to avoid the most common mistakes
- Reading maps on the move: essential for Mountain Marathons or solo mountain adventures
- Route planning, including how to identify good ground & plan a route through it
- Mountain Marathon event tactics for linear and score courses, if desired
Who's it for
If the mountains are calling, then this course is for you. No previous mountain running experience is required: we will teach to your level.
Come on your own, or bring your friends: discounts are available for teaching groups of 2 – 6. See our Price List for full details.
Max group size: 6. If you have a larger group, please contact us for further information.
A practical day of mountain skills theory and practice, running with our expert coaches in the Glenridding Valley. Full day courses run from 09:30 to 16:30 with a break for lunch; half day courses may be booked in the morning or afternoon.
What to bring
- Waterproof jacket & trousers (taped seams please)
- Spare L/S base layer, Primaloft layer or similar (no cotton please)
- Hat or buff
- Head Torch and spare batteries - we advise 250 lumens plus.
- Survival Bag
- Hill food/Lunch Snacks
- Compass - we will supply the maps.
- Race Vest/Small Pack to put it all in.
- Aggressive-soled running shoes for mountain terrain.
Please be aware we might be moving at slow speeds at some points during the day: please
account for this in your clothing selection. Check the weather forecast in advance of your
course and come prepared.