Mountain Skills for Runners: Trail to Fell - 5th November 2017
Come and learn the basics for mountain running in the heart of the Lakes.
Basic navigation, uphill and downhill techniques, kit selection, route choice, reading the weather, learning the terrain. All you need to know to move from Trail & Road Running to Fell Running.
Price: £60 per person
Please book/pay HERE - Coming Soon.
Ratio (Tutor to Client): 1:6 maximum
Date: 5th November 2017
Timings: 09:30 until 16:30
The course will be run in the North Lakes.
We'll meet at the Helvellyn Basecamp in Glenridding.
If you can't find the location, you might have trouble with navigation
On a Mountain Skills Day you will learn the following:
- Basic Navigation
- SkillsUphill and downhill pointers, plus other basic mountain skills.
- What clothing and equipment to take, depending on the weather.
- What to do in an emergency in the mountains.
- Learn how to re-locate.
- Pointers on how to plan a route.
- A further understanding of weather in the mountains.
- Roughly 2 hours of theory on basic navigation techniques in the morning.
- A quick break for coffee and a snack around 11:30
- Then roughly 4.5 hours of mountain skills and practical navigation spread out over a great mountain trail run around the valley of Glenridding and under Helvellyn.
Please bring the following and make sure you have everything, although we have some spare kit, we don't have everything:
- CompassBMC/Harvey's 1:40'000 Map of the Lakes
- Full waterproof cover (Jacket and Pants), these must be taped seems, please call to discuss if your not sure.
- Clothing suitable for the mountains & time of year - We will be running at the speed of the group, i.e: the slowest runner, please account for that in your clothing selection and bring a little extra.
- 1 spare warm top, not cotton please. Wool or synthetic will be fine
- Suitable footwear for running in the mountains.
- Hat & Gloves
- Lunch, day-food & water.
Our Credentials: Mountain Run have a wealth of experience in the mountains. We have planned many Mountain Marathon and Trail Running events since 2011, including the SLMM, GL3D, Marmot Dark Mountains, Marmot 24, Berghaus Trail Chase, Rab Mountain Marathon and the Keswick Mountain Festival Trail Races since 2014.
We are seasoned trail, mountain and fell runners. We climb in summer and winter, ski when the snow is good enough and enjoy all the mountain activities we can. We also love to mix up all the sports we love to travel fast and light in the mountains!